Hockey Stick Size Guide
ED Sports is a Specialist Hockey Shop, we can offer you expert advice on choosing the right Hockey stick. We sell a massive selection of hockey sticks to suit all ages and levels. Visit us In-store where you can try out a few sticks to find the one that suits you best. Alternatively give us a call on 01 6677300 or email email@example.com.
HOCKEY STICK LENGTH GUIDE
The length of your field hockey stick is very important. We have listed a few methods for choosing a hockey stick length below.
- Junior Hockey Sticks are available in sizes 24” up to full size 36.5”. Junior sticks are available in wood or fibre Glass. Prices start at approx €20
- To measure a child (5 Ft 2” or under) hold the hockey stick at their side and it should be just under their hip or belly button.
- If you cannot decide between two lengths, you should consider your child’s position. On defence, a longer stick is useful to provide a longer reach and to allow the player to drive the ball further. On the other hand, a shorter stick improves a player’s stick handling skills on offense.
- Once a young person reaches the age of approximately 13 they will be in a full size stick ie 36.5”(5 f 3”), so you do not need to measure the stick to your hip or belly button once you reach this height.
- Senior Sticks are available in wood, Glass Fibre and a combination of Fibre Glass, Kevlar and Carbon. When Senior Players are choosing a hockey stick they will choose a stick based on what feels comfortable for them and their style, so it is more of a personal choice.
- The majority of hockey players use a 36.5” stick. The best way to choose a hockey stick is to come into the shop and speak to our expert staff, try out a few sticks and choose the one that feels the best for you.
- There are no left handed hockey sticks, all field hockey sticks are made to be played right handed.
|26″||3′ 5″ – 3′ 7″|
|28″||3′ 8″ – 4′ 0″|
|30″||4′ 1″ – 4′ 3″|
|32″||4′ 4″ – 4′ 6″|
|34″||4′ 7″ – 5′ 0″|
|35″||5′ 1″ – 5′ 2″|
|36.5″||5′ 3″ upwards|
|37.5″||5′ 10″ upwards|
NOTE: If you are 5’10” you don’t have to use a 37.5″ stick, it is completely a matter of personal choice and equally someone under 5’10” may prefer a slightly longer Hockey stick and opt for the 37.5″, in our experience the majority of Hockey players chooose a 36.5″ Hockey Stick. The best advice we can offer is to come in and try out a few Hockey sticks so that you choose the stick that is most suitable for your position and style of play.